Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One Myth on 42nd st part 1


Sometimes I do murals for the arts group Chashama. They are a non profit organization that finds free or cheap performance spaces, artist spaces, galleries, etc, by accessing commercial spaces that aren't currently being rented and turning them into art spaces. At one point, they had nearly a block of performance and art spaces in NYC on 42nd st between 6th and Broadway. A few years ago, I spent about two months painting a gigantic mural outside on the second floor wall of their main theater space on 42nd. Because of the heavy foot traffic, I couldn't paint during the day, so I literally worked all night for two months, around 20 to 30 feet off the
ground in a little genie lift (you'll see what I mean when you see the pictures). Mad crazy, this.

Nearing the end of the job, I was approached one morning by a gentleman who worked at the united nations. To this day, I have no idea what his name is. It seems that he would pass by the building every morning on his way to work, and he decided to take a series of excellent photographs documenting the progress of the mural's creation. He showed me the series of photos he had taken over the 2 months. Incredible. I asked if I could have a copy and a few days later he kindly provided me with a disc with the series of photographs. I am eternally grateful for his efforts and kindness, and I'm proud to present these pictures to you:















Please click here to see part 2 of the "One Myth" mural project.

No comments: