Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Murals in NYC part 6 -- Root Chakra

notice anything strange on the picture above? click to enlarge.

please click images to enlarge

Yet another NYC mural that came through Chashama was this painting I did on 38th st and 8th ave in, I believe, 2005. It was created as part of a performance and art festival that was happening on or around loading docks and storefronts at least throughout the garment district if not all of Manhattan. I was supposed to create this one over the course of a weekend. What I didn't realize was that I was obligated to repaint their entire loading dock as part of the deal. I don't know how that happened but, oh well, whatayagonnado? I did end up repainting the dock yellow, white, and a lovely lime green.

What's that little floating orb on the bottom of the picture above?

The simple gist behind this image is that its a painting of a root chokra. Ideally, people would see it and have some sort of unconscious response to it, or rather, their root chokra would be activated by seeing the image. Its been difficult for me to learn to be grounded during my adult life, and I imagine other New Yorkers have the same problem, since this place is so frenetic and mental. Ideally, this imaged would inspire pedestrians to be more grounded.

Consequently, a very ungrounded thing appears in the photos of this mural: strange glowing orbs of light, floating about, nearly invisible sometimes, or glowing brightly in other shots. I will explain this phenomenon in my next non-mural related post.
Can you dig it?!

No comments: