Monday, October 27, 2008

NYC Murals part 2 -- I Magi Nation: a nation of magicians

click images to enlarge

This is the latest mural I've completed, created in Long Island City (Queens), NY July 2008. Curated by Patrick Smith for Off the Wall By the People in conjunction with the arts group Chashama. I was interviewed for an article on this project to bring mural art to all the construction site walls on LIC by the Queens Chronicle--you can check out the interview here.

Thematically, the idea was loosely based around a workshop given by the channel Daryll Anka, who channels an inter-dimensional extra-terrestrial consciousness named Bashar. I first saw Bashar speak at a huge Ufo conference run by Lakota Souix elders in Estes Park, CO (a subject I will get to in this blog at another date) over ten years ago, and he stuck out in my mind because of his forceful delivery and great sense of humor. Lately I had been watching google videos of his seminars, and I decided to participate in one that was being broadcast live from LA over the interwebs. The two day workshop was entitled "Imagination: Key to the Higher Mind."


Bashar broke down the word "imagination" into I-Magi-Nation, saying that this country, perhaps this world, could very well become or is a Nation of Magicians, as we invent reality into being through our consciousness and by pursuing that which makes us happy. "Follow your excitement" seems to be one of his basic 'laws' of realizing the higher self in this incarnation. I decided this would be the theme of my mural, as it is a piece of public art and I should endeavor to put forth a positive message for the kids and whatnot. I had originally intended to paint a line of people, to show the nation stretched across the mural, but for the amount of money I was being offered to paint, I decided it would be more worth my while to stick with one central figure instead. Art is, after all, much more labor intensive than most people realize--its long hours, in this case at the height of the summer--so I figured I should cut myself some slack and just concentrate on getting the mural done in a relatively short amount of time. I seem to remember painting the face of this goddess figure on the hottest day of the two weeks it took to complete the image, and it definitely affected the intensity of her face, as I had intended to make her more traditionally beautiful. But the painting sort of got away from me, and this stranger manifested....

What I realized, after I had begun work on the painting, is that by choosing this central wise woman figure, I was preparing myself to see the avatar Amma, who was to arrive in New York City shortly after I finished the painting. It was my hope that anyone who stumbled upon the painting would be spiritually uplifted, and maybe the mural carried the energies of Bashar and Amma with it, which would be sure to raise anyone's frequencies. If you sit with the image quietly for a few minutes, do you feel any subtle vibrations coming off the screen or inside your own body? Something to ponder....

Here's some more details, don't forget to click on the image to enlarge it....




No comments: